About the Artwork

The paintings that follow are a sampling of the work I've done over the past forty years. They are in oils and acrylics on canvas primarily. There is a section devoted to other mediums. The photos of the paintings are published in small size, but detail shots may be enlarged.

These pieces have been organized into the Four Elements of Earth, Air, Fire, and Water. Each blog entry will present another element.

I do have prints of many of the pieces. Please contact me by email at www.moriainsantafe@yahoo.com regarding purchases of originals or prints. Some of these pieces are also available on t-shirts, canvas bags, and other objects on my Cafepress website (see sidebar).

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Earth




These are the paintings I've placed into the category of "Earth"; they are about the energy of the land. I never painted landscapes until I moved to New Mexico, over fifteen years ago. I was moved by the powerful imagery of geological forces which are so clearly seen in the desert environment. earth is the element of the North, of the time of deep cold, of turning within. Dreams and deep wisdom, waiting and planning.


Cliff Swallows


This is a large painting of a nearby location where I love to hike with my dog, Cassidy. A flow of magma was laid over earlier sedimentary strata, resulting in these dramatic layers. You can see photos of this site in my blog www.exploringaroundsantafe.blogspot.com
Oil on canvas  36" X 36"
Original $6500
Prints available


detail of Cliff Swallows


Passage II 


The City of Rocks is the site if this sensual portal.  This National Monument, situated just beyond the southwestern end of the Gila Mountains, is an incredibly sculpted fantasyland of male and female forms, carved by wind and rain from soft tufa, rock composed of compressed volcanic ash.
Oil on canvas 22" X 28"
$3500
Prints available



Ghost Tree



On the Waldo Mesa, searching for the ghost town of Waldo (all that I found was a row of Osage Orange trees), I glimpsed this remnant of the past. 
Oil on Canvas 11" X 14"
$700
Prints available


The Journey's Guide


Our good friend Alec was our guide on a deep journey in the arroyos that plunge off the mesa towards the Rio Grande. We hiked this canyon around New Year's, and found the vital forces amazingly strong along the water course in the dead of winter. 
Oil on canvas 18" X 24"
$1400


Place of Spirits


The Dar Al Islaam mosque stewards this land which I so dearly love. Plaza Blanca was formed by the erosion of another tufa formation, but in a way that makes it completely different from the soft curves of the City of Rocks.I have been there many times, and have always had powerful experiences within the spiraling arroyos and towering chimneys. I painted this piece immediately after visiting this magical landscape for the first time.

Acrylic on paper 16" X 20"
$2500
Prints available




Earth Angel


The Deva, the guardian spirit of our world. She envelopes the Earth as a mother does her baby, nurturing and protecting this precious vessel of life...or so I imagine.
Oil on Canvas 16" X 20"
$850

No comments:

Post a Comment